About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Pet Peeve

Dear Pet Customer,

     I have a little pet peeve I need  to get off of my chest today.

     When I called yesterday with your appointment reminder for the following day, you asked if I could have your dogs grooming finished by noon because you had made plans for 1pm and must have your dog back no later than noon to get to your other appointment.

     There was only one small problem. Your dogs appointment was for noon! You wanted to bring your dog in by 11am so I could have it for you by the needed time out. You got very upset with me when I informed you that I already had other dogs slated for 11am, and other dogs that had earlier appointments were slatted to be finished by noon.

     You were adamant that you could not move your other appointment and there was no one else available to pick up your dog. Also that you would not be available to pick up your dog till long after our closing time if I did not have your dogs grooming finished by noon. We were also booked too far out to move your appointment.

     You have been a long time customer, so we went out of our way to call another customer to switch appointment times so that you could bring your dog in earlier, so that I could have her finished by the noon time that you so badly needed.

     Sadly, you were 25 minutes late for your new appointment time. You once again got upset with me when I informed you that I would still make every effort to have your dog finished by noon, but that I would no longer promise or guarantee that she would be finished right at noon, because I had now lost 25 minutes of grooming time. I would also not promise to stay open until you were able to pick up later that evening. I assured you that I would most likely have her finished on time, but I did not like rushing your dogs groom.

     You left your dog in my care. I groomed her, she was a good girl, and had her finished by 11:30pm. Well before your needed time. You were called right away to let you know that your dog was ready to pick up. You answered and said  that you were on your way.

     Noon came.....you did not.
     You were called again at 12:15pm, no answer.
     12:30pm came....you did not.
     Again you were called, no answer.
     One o'clock, two o'clock.....your dog was still waiting. I was fuming.

     Two thirty came and so did you. Calmly walking into my shop with your cell phone to your ear. (another pet peeve...don't get me started) With a big smile you asked if your dog was ready.

     Ready?!?!?! REALLY!!!!!! Yes, your dog was ready. She was ready at 11:30am when we called you, and noon, and one, and two. She has BEEN ready for three hours!!! (No, I did not say that to you even though I wanted to) I did say to you; 'Yes she has been ready since 11:30am when we called you and told you she was ready. I thought you needed her by noon because you had another appointment you needed to get to,' in as polite a manner as I could muster. 'Oh, my plans changed, you didn't need to have her done by noon,' you informed me while still on your phone. 'So I thought that I wouldn't rush you and give you extra time.'

     There was just one problem with the extra time you decided to give me for the grooming. You never bothered to notify me!

     Dear customer don't ask me for any more favors in the future. Your bridge has been burnt to ashes, the ashes have washed away, and there is no more wood to build another bridge.

     Oh, one other thing...don't make other plans at the same time your dog has an appointment. She does not deserve to be rushed through her appointment because you can't manage your day better.
                                                                                                                      Thank you

This scenario has happened more times than I can count over the years.
It happened twice last week.

Pet Peeve: Don't demand that your dog be finished by a specific time if you have no intention on picking up by that time!

Yes, I will continue to do favors for my customers.
Most of them are great and very grateful when we help them out.

It's just those few...... 

 

3 comments:

  1. The amount of annoyance I feel everytime this occurs can't even be described in words! but you did very well! I am so sorry and yes I continue to do favors for customers as well and my family is completely baffled as to why but I agree with you, there are those wonderful people that are truly grateful and a joy to work with! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just to say me and my friends at grooming college in the UK, love your blog <3 so many helpful tips too for us noobs ! <3

    ReplyDelete