About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Just For Fun

I have a Shih-tzu that I groom whose owner likes the hair pulled back on the top of his head.
His hair is so long.
He also loves to dig his head into his towel, in his kennel, after I finish grooming him.
I used to have to take him back and redo the top of his head.
I have learned that if I stand next to his kennel after I finish his grooming, and wait, all I have to do is say 'no' when he starts digging at the towel and he will not dig his head.
Thankfully he doesn't try again after I walk away. :)

I usually either pulled his hair up in one topknot or two.
Today I thought that I would try something a little different.








So, I thought that I would try to create a little design with the rubber bands.


 


  It is not as neat and straight as I would have liked but, he likes to look all around the room while I am working on him.








I topped it off with a bow.








I didn't like how so much hair was still hanging down on the sides of the face.








 I did not want to take everything down and start over again.

So, I took a small section of hair on each side of the head and pulled it back behind the bow.





That's better.
 
Now the hair on the sides of his face will not fall into his face when he lowers his head.

Thankfully he did not dig at the top of his head, and he still looked nice when his owner picked him up.

I really have to try and remember to ask her how long this lasted after she got him home. :)






8 comments:

  1. Hi, I have been grooming for 5 years and I learned a lot from your blog. Thank you so much!!
    I have a question for you. I was wondering if the ponytails are pulled hair and create the skin condition same like under mats? Any tip to make it nice and no stress for skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiko,
      You do have to be very care that the hair is not pulling the skin. When I put in a hair band, I always make sure that I am leaving enough space between the skin and the hair band, that when I let go of the pony tail it will not be pulling the hair and skin. I will also slide my comb under the hair band and pull up just a little to make sure that I have not caught any skin.
      In answer to your question....yes the skin can be effected if the topknot is pulled too tight, or the owner leaves it in for an excessive amount of time and lets it mat.
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  2. Omigosh, I just went to click the newer post button and there wasn't one. I didn't even realise I was close to the end. It took me several days but I have been through all of your posts. I'm glad to be caught up. :)

    I love the hair when it is banded up like that. I've seen a similar banding process done on manes of friesian and andalusian horses. It's my favourite way I've seen a mane done. And it looks cute on this boy too.

    Today is grooming day for my boys, a BC and an Aussie. We'll see if I can take any length at all off of their nails without quicking them. Did them last 4 days ago. Not sure how I ever survived before, only clipping nails. I LOVE grinding nails. I have noticed that the quick IS receding but VERY slowly when doing them 2-3 times a week. Several of my friends think I'm crazy for doing nails, or grooming at all for that matter, so often (I comb them out completely at least once a week, more on mat prone areas). I have been trying to explain to them that if you're going to get a coated breed, you have to groom it regularly. If you don't want to groom regularly, get a short hair or pay a nice groomer. Okay, sure, I probably go a little overboard with grooming my own dogs. They sure do always look nice though. :)

    It's going to seem weird now to only be reading one post on your blog each time you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Tristyn42,
      You read them all!? Thank you. That was a lot to read. :)
      I think that it is great that you are such a dedicated pet owner. I KNOW that your dogs love all of the attention and pampering. I love grinned nails also.
      Hopefully once I finish all of my bookkeeping and taxes for 2013 I'll be blogging more.
      Again, thanks for reading my blog.
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  3. Hey Lisa! You should try the KTW Knotless Wraps!! They are kinda hard to get used to in the beginning but with an extra set of hands they work wonders!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie,
      I just read about the Knotless Wraps a couple of weeks ago. I will have to order some and try them out. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  4. I would just like to comment and say how much I enjoy reading your blog. Like the above poster, I also read through all of your posts. It did take awhile but it was totally worth it!

    I've gotten so much good information and helpful tips from you and my grooming has improved so much from these little changes. I haven't been grooming for very long but I know that I'm only going to get better learning from professionals such as yourself. It's also such a relief to know that customers and dogs can be equally frustrating for groomers everywhere! Thanks for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kasie,
    Good luck in your grooming career! :)

    ReplyDelete