About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

I Have Wanted To Do This For So Long

Every groomer has them.

There those dogs that you groom the way the owner wants, but you so badly want to do something different on the dog.

Sometimes it is something very simple that would make a big difference.

Well, at least I think that it would make a big difference.







I have been grooming this little lady since she was a puppy.

From the very beginning her owners did not want me to trim her ears.

They are slow growing and have taken about 8 years to get this long.








I have to force myself not to trim those ears every time she comes in.

It drives me crazy.

They are so stringy and fuzzy looking to me.

But she is not my dog, so I do what the owner wants.






I am not even going to talk about all the Bichons that I groom that have the same kind of ears that the owners like left long, but that I think would look so much better short.

Well, the other day the owner of this dog walked in, and the first thing she said to me was, "Take her ears short! They are getting into everything."


What?!

Really?!

I even double checked with her just to make sure that I heard her right.

Yep!

She wanted them short.

This dog is owned by two sisters.
For a fleeting moment the thought past through my to head to ask; "Does your sister want the ears short too?"

No, I didn't ask that.
That was between her and her sister.
I couldn't wait to shorten those ears.
I didn't want to take the chance that she would change her mind.
I have wanted to shorten those ears for so long.

Now, you would think that the very first thing I did after the bath was to pick up those scissors and trim those ears.







 Nope.


I wanted to savor the moment.





I did her entire clip and saved the ears for last.

She is pretty with the long ears.

The problem is that those ears don't stay looking pretty when they are so long.

By the end of the day they will be hanging in stringy clumps, and wet from floating in the water bowl as she drinks.

Or, they will be wet and clumpy from being stuck in her mouth.










First I scissored one ear.....









.....then I scissored the other.

Look how nice the hair on her ears looks now.



 





And look!

She is happy too.










It is amazing how just trimming a dogs ears can make your day.

Only for a groomer!!

Happy Grooming, MFF

No comments:

Post a Comment