About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tuesdays Tip # 48 Something Silly....

......or something clever depending on how you look at it.

Personally, I would have loved to have thought of this years ago, when I was working at other grooming shops.

When I was working at other shop, with other groomers, I would have a problem with other people using some of my grooming tools.
I should not say just other groomers.
Everyone in the shop seemed to gravitate towards my grooming station.

The thing is, they would not touch my tools while I was at my table, they would wait till I was away from it, or had gone home, or use my tools on my days off.
No matter how many times I asked for people to leave my tools alone, I would inevitably come in to see my tools moved around, or sitting out someplace because the person who used them didn't even bother to put them away.
I guess that I could have gotten a tool box that I could have locked up, but I don't remember seeing anything like that when I first started grooming.
Plus some of the places that I worked did not have anyplace to set up a tool box.
My tools were in drawers, or laying out on a table, or cart.

Needless to say, the thing that bothered me the most was when someone would use my scissors!

I came in one day, at the pet shop that I was working at at the time, to find my best scissors, on my cart where they belonged, but cover in some kind of sticky substance.
No one ever fessed up to using them, and I never figured out what was all over them, but they were so dull I couldn't use them till the sharpening guy came.

Come to think of it, I could have used this trick for all of my scissors.
Then maybe my daughter, who was three years old at the time, could not have used my scissors to go in the bathroom and give herself a haircut.

Soooo, what is my Tip?





LOCKS!!

But, not for what you think.

Not to lock up a tool box.

Or drawers.

Or cabinets.








They are small padlocks to lock up your scissors.









Each individual scissor.








Or, just your special, expensive, important scissors, thinning shears, or chunkers.








So when someone picks them up to use them....

....THEY CAN'T!!!!









Again, I wish that I knew about this trick years ago.

I hope that this helps someone. :)

Happy Grooming, MFF

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant! That isn't a problem for me at the moment, but certainly has been in the past. I will keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a genius idea! Working in a place where everyone thinks your stuff is theirs, this will be great! No more broken scissors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boss keeps trying to use my tools, I gave up and just started taking EVERYTHING home. Brushes, mat splitters, clippers, you name it. Got tired of it :/ They have NO right to touch your livelihood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Lisa,
    can u do a blog on scissors and different types? and what are chunkers you mention in this blog?.. and when to use and difference between scissors like blenders and thinning shears and their lengths and on which types of dogs and where on their bodies to use them and how to choose. and does it really help to buy more expensive scissors is it just they last longer or cut better or what is the difference between scissors. if you have any ideas on that any info would be helpful.i know thats a lot of questions but any help would be great.
    shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly,
      I am probably not the person for giving advice on scissors and thinners. I do not buy really expensive scissors, because I am afraid of a dog kicking them out of my hand, them hitting the floor and being ruined, and hope that the sharpener can fix them good as new. Besides the fact that I haven't found a sharpener that I really like in a long time. As for thinning shears, I don't use them enough to give much advice on them. I can get the same look with scissors. I actually like the cleaner look that scissors leave. As for the blenders/chunckers, I don't own a pair of them....yet. :)
      To me scissors are a hit or miss. Even though I buy my scissors at expos so that I can hold them and feel them before I buy, I have still been disappointed when I have gotten them back to the shop.
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
    2. Thank you Lisa that helps. Its nice to know that the dogs you groom so beautifully can be done without them.

      Delete