About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Friday, February 22, 2013

At My Whits End

How many times can you come up with tactful answers to comments like;

"He got dirty so fast after you groomed him the last time."
"Take his nails shorter than you did the last time, they grow so fast."
"Cut his hair so that it won't grow out so fast, but don't shave him."
"Take his hair shorter around the eye, because it grew back too fast last time."

These comments always seem to come from  pet owners who go 2 months or more between their grooming appointments.

Sometimes these comments are made in such a tone that makes it sound as if I am to blame for the fact that their dogs nails are so long and overdue for clipping, or it is somehow my fault that their dog did not stay clean until its next grooming.

I had a customer today that wanted to know if I would clip her dogs nails short, or did she have to take her dog to her Vet to clip them short and not leave them sharp.

I must say, sometimes it takes all of my patience not to take these comments personally, and not respond in a sarcastic manor.

What was my response?
It is always tactful and nice.
The same thing that I tell everyone who asks me the same question, or something close to it.
"We take the nails as short as we can get them without bleeding the dog. Sometimes the quick of the nails grow with the nail and we are not able to take the nails as short as we would like to. We also file the nails smooth if your dog will allow it. We will not force your dog to accept the file."

This particular customers dog barely tolerates the nail clipping, much less allow us to use the file on them.
Not to mention the fact that this particular owner also moved her dogs appointment back twice, and the dog had not been groomed in  2 months.
Not surprising, the nails were long.

I so, so, so, so, so, want to say;
"How often do you trim or manicure your nails?"
"Will your hair and body stay clean for 2 months?"
"How often do you get your hair cut?" 

For customers that like to blame me for the nails being so long, I want to say; "I am here five days a week, nothing is stopping you from coming in and having the nails clipped between groomings."

I tell quite a few of my customers that I am available for them to bring their dogs in between groomings for while-you-wait nail clipping and eye trimming.
Very few take me up on it. 

Where in the world did this mentality come from, that a dogs hair cut and bath should last for months and months, and months?

Oh well, I guess that I am making to big a deal about this.
It just gets frustrating sometimes.

I am rambling.

I am done.

Rant finished.

I am going to go climb under warm covers and read a senseless romance novel. :) 

 ✂ Happy Grooming, MFF ✂








12 comments:

  1. I don't know how your posts are always so timely in relation to what I am going through. Yesterday I had not one but two of my regulars say, "And make sure to cut their nails as short as possible." It feels like they are implying that I usually half-a** it. Why do you keep coming back if you don't think I am doing the best job I can on your dog? I realize, of course, that it isn't necessarily anything personal. Like you said, everybody expects their dog's nails and hair to never grow or at least VERY slowly. I usually don't let it get to me, but I think I'm on the every edges of burnout, because it really pissed me off.

    And yeah, the whole, "But his hair grew back SO fast last time" also makes me nuts when they wait 2 months or more in between grooms.

    Anyway, I'm done ranting. Thanks again for such relate-able posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      I think that the only reason that some of my posts seem to be timely is because the things that I write about happen all of the time to every groomer everywhere. lol
      Hang in there and try to keep that burnout at bay. Remember...we do this for the dogs. AND, the dogs NEED good groomers like you! :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  2. some customers are truly clueless with their expectations i like how you stick to your principles and refuse to hurt the dog. some groomers i know purposely hurt the poor dogs just because the clueless owner wants it. i wonder if a vet would do tht if they would not use anestesia for surgery if the owner requests it or to save money or something..Thanks Lisa again so much for all your postings!:) n another note do you have a video out there on where to start and stop clipping with the lines if you want the legs a little fuller than the body where the lines should start and end is it on hip and how and where to transition from body to legs. on poodle and/ or bichon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly,
      I do have some posts on my blog about placing lines. I am in the process of trying to sort my posts so that people can search for different subjects, but it is taking me a lot of time. :/ I should have done that from the beginning, but I honestly didn't think that that many people would be reading my blog. Maybe I will just do some new posts about placing lines. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa, i also wanted to ask you if you are going to intergroom, nj and if you could groom my dog or show me on my dog where to put the lines.and what fee would be for that? or if you do a posting about that or did you can you direct me to it? like the video about connect the dots but i could never understand that.. im thinking if you can draw the lines on pictures like you do on your pictures maybe i could understand.. on different size and breeds of dogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Shelley, lol
      My daughter and I do plan on being at Intergroom. I don't mind showing you where to put your lines. What kind of dog so you have? Let me know what breed, and I will try to do a post on it. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
    2. i have 2 standard white poodles and 2 bichons and a bunch of poo mixes :) all mine. 5 years +

      Delete
  4. So glad I found your blog !! Makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone, as sometimes its easy to think that I'm the only groomer on the planet with all the issues and rants you write about.I've been the lone groomer at a vet. hospital for over 11 yrs.Everyday I think,surely ive seen and heard it all.then the next client walks in the door...thank you for blogging what we are all feeling! I could go on and on agreeing with all your posts,but ill just end by saying you ate not alone in this crazy grooming world sister !!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi karaszoo,
      Wow, 11 years by yourself! I am sure that you feel like venting somewhere sometimes. :) I can only imagine some of the things that you see coming into a Vets office. I remember some of the things that I saw, and I only worked at the Vet/Kennel for a little over a year.
      I am glad that you like my blog. Thanks for reading. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  5. AWW... what cute poodles! I love their haircuts. Makes me want to let me poodle's hair grow out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really feel like it could be ME writing these blog entries!! Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I would never blame my groomer. I love getting your insight. I totally would not think to come in between grooming's for something like this. I'm sure my groomer would do this for a fee. Since I am going to go longer between my appointments I need to stay on top of this!!

    ReplyDelete