About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Price Increase

I am a coward.

There I said it.

When it comes to raising my prices or pricing a dog for the extra work done on it ...I am a coward.

I am a pretty good groomer, but I have never claimed to be a good business woman.
I made the number one mistake that many groomers make when first opening their businesses.
I started my prices too low.
Then to top it off..

I can't believe that I am about to admit this.

I did not raise my prices for 5 years.
I believed that this was what I needed to do to keep customers coming, and get new customers.

I am very ashamed to admit that I have only raised my prices half a dozen times in the 24 years that I have been open.
Never anymore than $5 at one time.

I feel that my small to medium size prices for a basic clip are where they should be now.
I still undercharge for my hand scissor cuts, and my large dog prices are ridiculously low for my existing customers.

So why not just start charging what the hand scissoring is worth and what the large dogs are worth?

I know for fact that my large dog customers would not find another groomer to clip or scissor their dog for what I charge now.
They would most likely come back after trying to find someone else.

I know, they would come back realizing just how good they had it.
But, as I told you at the beginning of the post...I am a coward.

Well, maybe not really a coward.
I have no problem taking up for myself or my prices...with new customers.

It is my regulars that I just don't want to deal with.
The whining, the being offended because I raised their price, the ones who make smart comments under their breath, (I don't even pay that much to cut my own hair) the ones who will get down right indigent because you dared to raise their price by a dollar.

Because of the economy, I have not raised my prices in the last 2 years.
Do you think that my customers even noticed?
I doubt it.
They will know now.
I have mentioned it in the price increase letter that will be going out next week.
I have also offered for them to shop around if they feel that they need to, that I will understand.

I stand behind my quality of work, customer service, and care that I give all of my furry customers.
I must raise my prices.
I have bills to pay too.
I can not worry if some of my customers decide to leave because of the increase.
If I don't increase my prices to cover my overhead, all of my customers will be looking for a new groomer.

I just wish that I didn't have to hear the crap.

Oh well, I clean up crap everyday, whats a little more?

I made up a sign to hang in my lobby.




Still not 100% sure that I will hang it.
There will always be some smarta** to say something.

I have been working on a tougher skin.
Been working on that for 25 years.
I have gotten a little better.
Really!
I have!

Oh, who the heck am I kidding?

Don't make my mistake.
Charge what you are worth.

*If your work is good, and you take good care of your furry customers and their owners, they will stick with you.

Note to self:
Repeat the above statement every morning 100 times till you believe it!


Happy Grooming, MFF

1 comment:

  1. Clever Girl,
    Thank you so much for the compliment. I appreciate it very much. It must have been terrifying for you friend to experience such an awful accident.
    One of my worst nightmares is having a dog turn on the table at the wrong time and stab itself with the scissors before I can move them.
    Accidents do happen, but I sure try my darnedest not to let them happen to me. :)
    Lisa, MFF

    ReplyDelete